The Greenfield Inn is an historic Southern New Hampshire mountain view mansion offering many amenities and a great getaway.
Our new owners are committed to providing the best experience possible at reasonable rates. Our goal is to provide our guests with the best customer service possible. Our inn is located about a mile from Greenfield State Forest which offers 350 acres of hiking trails. Also, close by is a ski area and a golf course. Please check our activities page for more information.
The history of the Greenfield Inn starts with the early Greenfield church. When the town in 1799 called Timothy Clark as its minister, it voted to give him a settlement of $600, ‘$400 of which was laid out in lands”. This land was located on the south side of what was to become Forest Road and it included the area from Slip Road to the top of the hill. Included, was the land now occupied by the Greenfield Inn. Timothy Clark built his house further up the hill and that house still stands. It has been the residence of such citizens as Charles & Kit Hopkins and Chet & Betty Soule.
In the 1800s, many people invested (some would say speculated) in real estate. Land and buildings were bought and sold much like present day investors buy and sell stocks. One such investor was William Whittemore and in 1817 he purchased from Timothy Clark eleven acres of land described in the deed as “… the westerly portion of the farm I now live on.’’ On this land William Whittemore built the house now known as the Greenfield Inn.
William Whittemore probably never lived in this house. His residence was across the street on the site of Chet & Louise Russell’s house. Most likely, Whittemore built The Greenfield Inn home as an investment to either rent or sell. The records are not clear as to his intentions or as to when he sold the house or who purchased it. In fact, the next recorded deed involving the property is date 1871 when George Whittemore (whose relation to William is not known) sold the house to Henry Duncklee for $5,500.
Henry Duncklee was an inn keeper. He owned the former residence of William Whitternore which had been converted into a tavern and which would later be known as the Mayfield Inn. By purchasing The Greenfield Inn home which sat across the street, Henry Duncklee had a house large enough to serve as his residence plus accommodate any overflow from his tavern.
Henry Duncklee sold his tavern in 1881, but retained The Greenfield Inn house where he lived until his death six years later. The house passed on to his wife Cornelia and their two sons, George & Fred. In 1888, George and Fred sold their share to Cornelia for $2,500. Cornelia eventually moved to Massachusetts, but retained ownership of the house which she rented. One couple renting the house were the parents of Marjorie Aiken, Fred & Minnie Aiken. They lived in the house when they first moved to Greenfield from Francestown. When Cornelia died in 1910, the house was sold to Walter Hopkins for $2,200.
Walter Hopkins paid only $2,200 for the house which was indicative of Greenfield’s economic woes. The town had been losing population since the early 1800s. Its citizens were leaving the local farms for better farms in the mid-west and for better paying jobs in the cities. This trend continued until the 1930s when Greenfield’s population fell below 400. Walter Hopkins was not part of this migration. He and his brother Edwin purchased their father’s store, now the Greenfield Industries. Included with the store was a small grain business which the brothers expanded. They incorporated under the title of E C & W L Hopkins, Inc and in 1906 purchased the Union Soapstone Company building on Slip Road. This was converted to a building for milling grain. Such was the status of Walter Hopkins when he moved his wife and family into the big house on lower Main Street, just above the newly built Stephenson Memorial Library.
Shortly after purchasing the house, Walter & Fannie added a large porch across the front and along the west side of the building. Adding a porch to ones house was a popular trend in those times, a trend that touched many houses on Greenfield’s Main Street. In more recent years, the trend has been to remove these porches so as to return to original configurations. Walter Hopkins’ porch remains and one only has to sit on this porch during a summer’s evening to know why it was never removed.
On the death of Fannie Hopkins in 1970 (Walter had died some 13 years earlier), Frank and Higgie Hopkins purchased the house. They made one major change, the removal of the back portion of the barn. In 1978, Frank & Higgie sold the house to Fred & Donna Geer, who sold to Vic & Barbara Mangini in 1985. Vic & Barbara have converted the house into a Bed and Breakfast establishment and named it The Greenfield Inn.
In the late 1800s, Greenfield had several fine inns. The best known and probably the most lavishly appointed was the Mayfield Inn. Through the years, some inns were destroyed by fire, others closed their doors from a lack of business. By the late 1930s, only the inn called Hollywood Lodge remained. It closed a few years later. Once again Greenfield has an inn, The Greenfield Inn. In the irony of history, it sits directly across the street from where the proud Mayfield once stood.
Vic and Barbara Mangini owned and operated the inn until 2016. Good friends with Bob Hope, he stayed at the inn several times during their tenure as innkeepers. The inn was renovated, adding the ski lodge as well as an event area.
The inn has been sold to John Jordan and Ken Tetreault who have migrated to New Hampshire from Massachusetts. They look forward to keeping up the tradition of the Greenfield Inn.
|Timothy Clark (land only)||1799|
|Frank & Emma Hopkins||1970|
|Fred & Donna Geer||1978|
|Victor & Barbara Mangini||1985|
|John Jordan & Ken Tetreault||2016|